Monday, December 7, 2009

A Thought About Christian Leadership and Tiger Woods

I've heard a lot of talk about how Tiger Woods as a role model has let so many people down, especially the kids that look up to him.  What kind of role model is he playing out before them?  The whole debate arises again on the idea that role models should be people we emulate.  We know Charles Barkley answer to that question.

I also found it interesting about how Tiger wanted to be so private.  I can understand that as a mega world star.  I think I would be fighting for my privacy as well.

But in the midst of the argument I was hearing on the ESPN radio I had this thought.

Christian leaders do not have the luxury of privacy.  As my grandmother said being a christian leader is like living in a fishbowl.  Why is that?

Simple.  Paul gave us the model of leadership when he said to his followers, "Follow me as I follow Christ."

When someone is following you you kinda lose that privacy virtue.  It requires you to be open and authentic not just with your faith, but your life.  Jesus said himself a student is not above his teacher.

That's my thought on Tiger Woods, I wish I could argue for his luxury sometimes, but I have a higher calling than a golf pro.

No comments: