Thursday, September 18, 2008

No Country for Us Men (and Women)

I went to the men's Small Group Wednesday night and had a great time. It's good to get with other guys. In the midst of this study we looked at Hebrews 11, the great hero chapter of the Bible.

In the midst of the study I read these verses and they really stood out to me. It's Hebrews 11:13-15. "Heb 11:13 All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance. And they admitted that they were aliens and strangers on earth. Heb 11:14 People who say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own. Heb 11:15 If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have had opportunity to return. Heb 11:16 Instead, they were longing for a better country—a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them." (NIV)

All these heroes mentioned did not see the promise God gave them come true in thier lifetime. It says they only saw them at a distance. In other words they had a clear vision in their mind of what God promised, but they never saw the reality of that.

The promise God gave them would not come true on earth, in this country, but a country they belong to not on this earth. Thet were longing for the country to come called heaven.

For me that means there is no country on earth for me. The country I long for, I desire for, I want for my children, is not the US, or any oher nation past, present, or future. The country I belong to is still to come and I can see it from a distance.

I long for that country called heaven, and God is building a city in that country that defies description. The country is challenging to live in, but it has complete peace. No more shots. perfect health. No robberies or sex predators. I won't have to worry about being harmed or deal with heartache. He land i see is still in the distence, but i know I'm gettting closer everyday.

What a great scripture!

Kirk

No comments: