Alcohol has always seemed to be a controversial subject in the church. Some say it's okay to drink while many churches condemn any kind of drinking. Most though, don't care about the controversy.if they want to have a drink they have a drink.
Drinking is a huge part of our culture and it's something Christian and non-Christian alike need to look at seriously. Why? Alcohol has the potential to cause a lot of pain and hardship in one's life. Like fire, it needs to be handled properly.
God has some ideas about drinking alcohol. That's what this message and discussion are about.
1. Read Genesis 9:18-27. Drinking alcohol led to Noah being is a state of disgrace. This eventually led to an entire generation of people being condemned by God. How do you see in our culture alcohol's negative consequences?
2. Read Proverbs 31:4-7. Why are leaders held to a higher standard than other people?
3. In this culture they used alcohol for medicine. It was used as a sedative. What does this say about our reasons for drinking today?
4. Read Ephesians 5:18. What is debauchery? Why would Paul associate alcohol with this subject?
5. What does it mean to be filled with the Holy Spirit? How does that feel? How do you do it?
6. Where should our focus be? How much I can drink or how much I can be filled with the Spirit? Why is it important to make a distinction between the two?
THINK ABOUT IT
Does alcohol consumption help you draw closer to God? Why or why not?
CHANGING YOUR MIND
"Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit." Ephesians 5:18
Check Out Friday's Awesome Amazon Deals - From the Smart Shopping Team...
11 months ago