For this year's volunteer Sunday our theme played off the popular Wii video game. That system is a blast becasue it is immersive, interactive, and simple. This is how we are to experience the church. Many people think the church, or their Christian walk, is just a spiritual activity. Christianity is not just a spiritual activity. In it's correct form it is immersive, interactive, and simple. This past week's message expands on this idea.
1. How is the church, or your Christian experience, immersive (involving all of you), interactive (fellowship), and simple (easy to participate)? If not, then how can the church improve in these areas?
2. The lawyer said to gain eternal life one must love God and love people. This is a simple concept. How could you simplify your Christian life according to these two directives?
3. The lawyer was not satisfied with a general directive from Jesus. He wanted Jesus to define who was his neighbor. We live in a society that likes to be specific (i.e. "It depends on what the term 'is' is.") Why do we have this need and how can it hamper our ability to follow Jesus in serving others?
4. Notice all three passers by "saw" the beaten man on the side of the road. What needs do you see in your community or Celebration and how could you chip in?
5. Jesus said he Samaritan had pity on the victim. When was the last time you felt pity for someone? How did you respond to that feeling?
6. Jesus command to the lawyer was "Go and do likewise." How could you obey that command from Jesus?
THINK ABOUT IT
Many times we have good intentions at serving others but for one reason or another we fail to follow through. In contrast the Bible mentions Jesus had compassion for people and then took some kind of action (feeding and healing, to name a couple). Could we learn anything from Jesus' example to get beyond good intenions and do something like he did?
CHANGING YOUR MIND
"Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of the robbers?" The expert in the law replied, "The one who had mercy on him." Jesus told him, "Go and do likewise." Luke 10:36-37 (NIV)
Check Out Friday's Awesome Amazon Deals - From the Smart Shopping Team...
11 months ago