Friday, January 18, 2008

A Money Party

My son's birthday party is coming up in February. He's going to be hitting double digits, 10 years old. The days of him being a little guy are behind him now. He's going to start turning into a man from here on out, at first slowly, in the end all too quickly.

This year Dietrich wants to have a "money party" instead of a birthday party. He wants everyone to give him money. He's hoping to get enough money to buy a Wii or somehting else. At first I reacted negatively to his request. You don't go around demanding people give you money for your birthday. I told him that is rude. You gladly accept whatever anyone gives you. If it happens to be money all the better. If they ask you what to give you for your birthday you can tell him or her. But you don't go around demanding a money party as your birthday party.

As I have been preparing these messages I have considered Dietrich's thoughts concerning the church. I thought it could seem to some that when it comes to money, the church is all about having a "money party." Many people think that is what the church is all about. They think the church is being rude. They think the church is being demanding. They could wonder why the church should have the right to ask for money.

Because of that ideology out there many ministers are scared to talk about money. I had one minister share that he never talks about money. He was shocked when I told him that I spend an entire month talking about it. But I do. I do becasue Jesus had more to say about money then any other subject. If I am going to preach Jesus then I better preach about money.

When you examine what Jesus said about money he never encouraged people to come together and have "money" parties. What he emphasized was our money management needs to be in line with God's vision. It was simple as that. Part of that vision is giving because the character of God is generous by nature.

Last week I shared that for the sake of heaven, we need to be shrewd with our wealth on earth.

Talk about it. What do you think? Have you ever thought that how you spend your money now directly impacts what you will experience in heaven?

A lot of people think heaven will be a communist state with everyone being treated equally. I don't see that in the Bible. What I do see is everyone being treated individually, as God sees fit. Jesus said himself we will be rewarded in heaven according to our deeds. My deeds are different than yours. Therefore you will receive something different than me.

What do you think? How does your spending habits, maney management, affect heaven? How could your spending be any different? How would it impact your lifestyle?

In Christ Alone, Kirk

No comments: